My son and I enjoyed an afternoon with Corduroy last weekend - now on stage at Imagination Stage in Bethesda!
Imagination Stage has begun their 2021-22 in-person season with Corduroy, based on the books Corduroy and A Pocket for Corduroy by Don Freeman and adapted for the stage by Barry Kornhauser.
When I was a kid, Corduroy was one of my favorite books. My 8-year old son shares my love for the sweet story, as I've read it to him so many times over the years. So we were both excited to dress up a bit and head out to enjoy our first theater performance in a long time.
What an amazing feeling it was to see all of our favorite characters - Corduroy, Lisa and her mother, and the Night Watchman - come alive on stage. Believe it or not, the character of Corduroy is even more loveable on stage than he is in the book. Lisa and her loving but stressed-out mom were very relatable on stage - I appreciated that! The hilarious antics of the fumbling Night Watchman had my son - and the entire audience - laughing out loud over and over again.
What a fantastic way to kick off the holiday season with the family! Corduroy will be at Imagination Stage through January 23rd. You can purchase tickets at imaginationstage.org or by calling the Imagination Stage box office at 301-280-1660.
COVID-19 Information: COVID-19 safety is paramount at Imagination Stage. All actors and all staff who come into contact with patrons are fully vaccinated.
- All performances are capped at 50% capacity or feature socially-distanced seating.
- For Ages 12+ proof of vaccination is required.
- For Children under age 12, there is no negative test requirement but everyone in the building age 2+ must wear a mask.
- More info here.
Know Before You Go:
- Read the Book: If you haven’t already, make sure to read Corduroy before the show. It will definitely enhance the experience for you and your family!
- Parents: Make sure to bring proof of vaccination for yourselves and any family members ages 12 and up. Remember that masks are required for ages 2+.
- Parking: The Auburn/Del Ray parking garage is conveniently located on the same street as Imagination Stage. Parking is $1/hour during the week and free on the weekends.
- Through January 23, 2022
- Best for ages 3+
- Based on the “Corduroy” and “A Pocket for Corduroy” books by Don Freeman
- Licensed by CBS Consumer Products
- Adapted for the Stage by Barry Kornhauser
- Directed by Kathryn Chase Bryer
The author received tickets to Corduroy for this article. All thoughts and opinions expressed are their own.