July 12, 2011
- Happy Tuesday!
- SPY KIDS: ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD is Coming...
- Macaroni Snacks
- Crystal Craft
- Macaroni Reads- Summer Reading Tips
- Playing it Sate in the Summer Heat!
- This Week's Calendar
- Plan Ahead
- Weekly Open Gyms & Storytimes
- Kids Eat Free in Rockville & Gaithersburg
- Business & Sponsor Directory - click to enter
- Work With Us!
- Macaroni Kid Saves
Here's what you need:
- Wide-mouthed Mason or glass jars
- Pipe cleaners
- 3C boiling water for each jar
- 1/2c Borax for each jar
- food coloring (optional)
Borax is found in the laundry asile, it's a laundry booster and an ingredient we use in our Homemade Laundry Detergent. It's around $3 for a big box of it.
We found the glass jars we used at the thrift store and the pipe cleaners at the Dollar Tree.
Here's what you do:
- Make some shapes with your pipe cleaners. We made some with cookie cutters and some freehand shapes.
- Add 1/2c of Borax to each of the jar and add in the food coloring as well if you wish.
- Tie the strings onto the shapes so that they suspended well into the solution.
- Pour the boiling water into each of the jars and mix the Borax until it's dissolved and add your shapes.
- Leave the shapes in the solution for 6-8hrs.
My kids loved periodically checking the shapes to see how the crystals were growing. They loved making these so much they made a mobile for their Grandma's birthday! That one we started at 10 in the morning and made it just in time for her party at 6pm!
I already see us doing this craft with Christmas shapes for ornaments on our tree!
Have your say
© 2013 Macaroni Kid, LLC